Liquid lipsticks are the new trend this season and they seem to be a new launch for almost every brand! We had a new entry last week from Maybelline, called the SUPER STAY 24 COLOR (should have been 24hr color, for clarity). I was way too excited to give it a try and review it for you all. I was told that in comes in 12 shades. So let’s get on the review ride!!
I guess it’s the first time, Maybelline has launched lipsticks with an outer case. It comes in a transparent plastic outer case with the name written in bold red and silver on a while background… looks quite impressive. I was impressed no doubt! The actual case that is there inside the clear plastic is the usual stick with 2 compartments, one side has a balm and the other side has the liquid lipstick with a wand (of course) for application.
The 1/3rd of the case, which is the liquid lipstick container shows the exact shade, so you would know the color through the packaging, without opening the tube. The rest 2/3 of the stick is white with the name of the product written in bold red and silver, as on the outer box.
Overall, I would say, it’s bright, sturdy and travel friendly.
TEXTURE AND QUALITY
The lip stain on application feels velvety smooth, some what glossy (I would say, similar to the Diana of London 2000 kisses lipstick, if you have tried). In about 2-3 minutes, It starts to dry and turn matte, rather velvety matte. But But But…it’s very sticky at this point! You will actually feel your lips sticking together as soon as it dries and after 2-3 rounds of sticking-n-separating , the lip color starts to become patchy from the middle-inner side of the lower lip. (Very disappointing 🙁 ) But the balm that comes along can save you this disappointing factor. So I would say, do not rub your lips together (like you would generally do when you apply a regular lipstick) when you apply this liquid lipstick, rather once dried, immediately coat it with the lip balm. This surely makes the wear much more comfortable.
Now, on applying the balm, the lip color looks creamy for a while, but then in about 30-45 minutes, it’s back to matte. The color is absolutely non-transferable and smudge proof by now (high 5 on that… yayyy 😀 ) !
At this point, it looks amazing and you would want to check it out time and again in the mirror and you might as well go ahead and pat your own shoulder and be proud of the wise investment you made!!
But… like always, reality bumped in!!
The color started loosing grip on the inner center of the lower lip in about 45 minutes of application and in 1 hour, I could see a clear demarcation between my inner and outer lower lip… which was very very disappointing!! Even rubbing your lips together won’t help and correct that, because remember… the lip color becomes non-transferable absolutely upon drying….
Restricting this section back to the texture, the lipstick goes through texture transition phase throughout it’s life cycle… which is as follows:
- On Applying the lip color – It feels velvety, smooth, glossy
- Once the lip color sets (after 2-3 minutes) – Feels extremely sticky! 🙁
- On applying the lip balm – The comfort is back and feels like a smooth luxurious creamy texture (but your balm does get stained with tiny flakes of the color)
- After 45 Minutes – Comfortable, feels like a regular matte lipstick, quite light in fact.
- After 7 hours – Slight sticky and dry, the need to reapply the balm seeps in. On applying the balm the good feel is back. (There is sometimes slight powdery flaky feel at this point and which is annoying and you would need a tissue to get rid of that)
Another thing noticed was, I did feel slight flaky pigments in my mouth a few times… 🙁
The color payoff too goes through various phases (like the texture)
- On Application – Super pigmented and opaque. Awesome!
- After 45 Minutes – The color starts fading off from the inner area of the lower lip, in fact soon the color disappears from here and you are left with a clear cut demarcation between the inner and outer lower lip area. But the overall color intensity is same as on application,
- After 4 hours – The color further looses grip from the lower lip demarcation line which was formed above and you can see your lower lip stained only half way. 🙁
- After 7 hours (which includes a meal and a few cups of coffee) – The color starts loosing it’s intensity, though it’s still there, but not really the same way.
- After 10 hours – There is just an thick outline over your lips ad you can say it’s time for a re-application.
ABOUT THE SHADE
Shade No. : 100
Shade Name : Very Cranberry
Very Cranberry is a beautiful, fresh pastel pink which would suit most of the skin tones. It also reminds me of the Maybelline REB-07. I feel it can be a very good everyday wear.
HOW TO APPLY
- Apply a thin layer of color to clean lips and allow it to dry completely (for about 2 minutes)
- Apply conditioning coat top balm for comfort and shine.
There are a few things you got to make sure before applying this duo.
- Your lips should be dry and clean. There should be no trace of lip balm or moisturizer else the color won’t last at all.
- Always wear the lip balm over the lip color.
- Use an oil-based makeup remover to remove the color. It doesn’t come off with water, soap or moisturizer.
Currently at NewU stores, maybelline counters and online HERE
WHY IT COULDN’T MAKE 5/5?
- It lasts for 8-10 hours but after 5 hours of application the high opaque pigmentation starts decreasing.
- It color doesn’t hold on the inner area of the lower lip at all.
- You can sometimes feel flaky particles in your mouth.
- It gets a little sticky after 6-7 hours